Established in 1926 as an extension of DuPont Elementary, a school built by the DuPont Nemours Company during WWI. The first senior class graduated in 1928. DuPont High School was built in 1930. The first principal was C. P. Ferguson. A lighted football field, the first in the county, was added in 1936. The school, which stood on the property which is now DuPont-Hadley Middle School, was destroyed by fire in 1967.